Farmers Market Program
With increased demand for healthier, sustainable foods and the popularity of Farm-to-Table concepts, we’ve created our Farmers Market Program that builds a relationship between local farmers and local chefs. When you buy locally grown produce from Worldwide Produce you get the best tasting, seasonal produce from family farms located within a 200-mile radius of Los Angeles County. Our special partnerships with local farmers guarantees that our customers get first pick of the crop.
Every week Chef Mark (our corporate chef and your personal shopper) and his team hand pick the season’s best and newest produce from the Santa Monica Farmers Market for delivery the next day to our customers. If it’s summer peaches, heirloom tomatoes or mulberries that you would like first pick of, we can get it to you.
Contact your local sales representative or Chef Mark to start ordering and also receive the Farmers Market Report to keep up with what’s new. Follow us on Instagram to get the update on what’s new from the farmers market.
Just a few reasons you should buy local grown …
- Local produce tastes better and it’s better for you – Food grown in your own community was probably picked within the past day or two and therefore is much fresher.
- Locally grown produce supports local farm families – Fewer than 1 million Americans now farm as their primary occupation (less than 1%). Consider that today’s farmer gets less than 10 cents of the retail food dollar.
- Local food protects genetic diversity – With increased consumption and demand for volume crops, there is little genetic diversity in the plants grown today. In contrast, local farmers grow a huge number of varieties selected because they have the best flavors, provide a long harvest season, and come in an array of eye catching colors. Many varieties are heirlooms, passed down from generation to generation because they taste good. These old varieties contain genetic material from hundreds or even thousands of years of human selection. They may someday provide the genes needed to adapt to a changing climate or new pests.
- Local food preserves open space and supports a diverse environment – When you buy locally grown food, you are keeping a local farm financially viable and also preserving the agricultural landscape.
- Local food is about the future – Supporting local farmers today ensures that there will be farms in your community tomorrow, that there will be green space for wildlife, and that future generations will have access to locally grown food.